Monday, February 20, 2006

I have a question for all of you!

I am debating whether or not to go for my second level black belt or not.

Pros:
- If I pass, I have a level 2 black belt
- I have already done half of the requirements for passing; I only need two more points, viz. to win two fights
- it would make my 70+ year old instructor very happy

Cons:
- haven't properly trained in the last 8 months
- if I continue in martial arts, it will be in something other than judo
- if I pass, there will be $200 in fees for registering et cetera

So basically I am debating whether the gratification of the title of a second level black belt is worth the $200+ when I do not plan to continue with it. Of course, I may at some future date, who knows? but nonetheless, I think I would do something else. At the very least I have no intention of continuing it here where the class is only me and one other.

And I don't think I deserve a second level black belt. If I were fighting others of the same age and weight class, I would hardly stand a chance. Instead, if I take the test I will surely fight high school or university students.

And there is a paper test which because of the "language barrier" my instructor would take me aside and tell me all the right answers. Which feels really crappy, even though it's just a formality which none of the others actually fail, because if they speak the language they should know all the answers from being in their clubs. Bleh.

I think I don't want to do it, but I wonder if later on I will regret not having gone for it.

So my question for all of you is this,

If you were in my place, would you try for finishing your level two?

2 Comments:

At 5:40 p.m. PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Many questions to begin with. First question is why does this idea of finishing your 2nd level come up? Did your sensei initiate it? Would it honor him if you finished? Do you like to leave things half done? Could you practice adequately for it? Do you need the exercise? Money or lack of should never be an issue in life i.e. $200 over the next 30 years means nothing.

 
At 7:58 p.m. PST, Blogger Fletcher said...

Yes, Takagi-sensei initiated it. Whether it would honour him is debatable. But the last couple classes we had he has been telling us to teach judo to children when we go back to our home countries. So I guess taking the test and passing would make him feel like he has accomplished something in his last years, successfully taught a foreigner up to a 2-dan.

Whether I like to or not, most of the things I take up I leave half-done. No, I cannot practice adeqately for it. One day of exercise is hardly going to restore the balance.

I have been letting the money be my excuse. Or at least a big factor. Taking it out of the picture, I don't mind taking the test to see if I can get a couple points. Better to be a second level black belt who doesn't feel he deserves it and is disappointed in the system than to be a first level black belt who doesn't feel he deserves it and is disappointed in the system, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home