Sunday, February 05, 2006

LotR on the brain

So in the past five days I have watched all the special features on the special editions of both Return of the King and The Two Towers, as well as watching the special edition of RotK at least twice, and the first half of TT once, with a plan to finish it tonight, and then maybe watch a commentary or two this week. All the stuff in the making is super interesting, and makes me wish I could have been involved in one of the design stages. But the watching of all that in such a short period of time means that LotR has been invading my dreams. Have you ever had that experience of playing a video game for nearly every waking hour of a day or two, and then having all the people in your dreams be characters from the game? No? Well it's like that, except that it's only been evenings for me that have been LotR. I wouldn't have thought it precedent enough for dream invasion.

So if one were to watch all of them back to back in special edition, the full Lord of the Rings movie experience would take 11 or 12 hours. I was trying to think how it could be done enjoyably in a day and this is as far as I got:

7:30 - people arrive
8:00 - breakfast: English muffins, sausages, eggs, orange juice etc.
9:00 - Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring, Special Edition, Disc One
11:00 - 30 minute break, get up, walk around, stretch legs, etc.
11:30 - LotR FotR SpEd Disc Two
13:30 - lunch: rabbit stew and lembas, or imitations thereof. No potatoes. Alternatively, fish raw (but not wriggling): sashimi.
14:30 - Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, Special Edition, Disc One
16:30 - 30 minute break, get up, go to washroom, stretch legs, etc.
13:00 - LotR tTT SpEd Disc Two
19:00 - dinner: Roast chicken, cherry tomatoes, et al.
20:00 - Lord of the Rings: Return of the King, Special Edition, Disc One
22:00 - 30 minute break, stretch, washroom, talk, etc.
22:30 - LotR RotK SpEd Disc Two
24:30 - Several options: sit around chatting, LotR trivial pursuit, midnight soccer/ultimate/volleyball/other,
XX:00 - people go home and sleep or crash at mine.
Next Day - Do something really active like climb a mountain or something

I kind of imagine trying to pull this off when I return to Canada, and do it on a Saturday sometime, but if a bunch of people in Tokushima wanted to do it, I think we could pull it off, (except maybe the LotR trivial pursuit, does anyone here have it?)
The thing is that trying to pull it off here gets complicated when it's at my place, because an 8:00 start means at least a 7:00 departure for people...
But Kamikatsu has great stuff to make for a good next day, I think. Onsen, cheap amazing teishoku, waterfalls and hikes, etc.

So like I said, I've had LotR on the brain lately. At least I like the movies now.

4 Comments:

At 9:03 p.m. PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. I might be up for something like that in theory... after march 18th, of course. I never did see the sp.ed. of part 1 or 3. But I did play the RoTK PS2 game at Jordan's place for many hours.

 
At 11:19 p.m. PST, Blogger Fletcher said...

Is that right? Hmmmmmmmmmm maybe March right after the closing ceremonies? But then people are going away for holidays.

Perhaps April, around Easter? But maybe at that time a flower viewing party might be more desirable. Perhaps I ought to put it on the forum.

Or maybe if it gets pushed back until we have all left the shores of this land, you'd like to swing over to the 'Peg for a fall event. I know my friend Tommy would be up for it, and he's got an amazing tv-stereo setup.

 
At 5:56 p.m. PST, Blogger Tom said...

Bwahaha! You're so right. Yet, a LOTR marathon doesn't really strike me as something to do on a road trip.

 
At 5:59 p.m. PST, Blogger Fletcher said...

looks like we may try to pull it off here

 

Post a Comment

<< Home